Thursday, March 15, 2007

Field Research # 2: Rock Daddy

I interviewed several Christians, however, due to the smallness of my town, I was not able to find other faiths other than Judaism. I did speak with a Mennonite lady, however, since they don't have t.v. the question about her favorite commercial was a bit difficult. I used the questions that Dr. Nissley posted and modified them in that instead of just asking about commercials from the Superbowl, I asked what their favorite commercial was and why.

For the first question people responded with a variety of things that they enjoyed doing, however, when I probed further to try to understand why, the majority of the reasons were because it either involved their families or reminded them of their families. So family seemed to be a recurring them for people and their hobbies.

For question two it was a toss up between liking the commercial because it made them laugh and liking the commercial because it reminded them of family. So, again it seems that people associated with things that made them think about their families.

For the final question, practically everyone guessed what the painting was (including the Jewish person), so when I read the scripture, they didn't change their thoughts or what the told me the story was behind the picture. I did find it interesting that practically everyone made the comment of, "I thought Jesus was suppose to be a sleep in the bow". In the painting it looks like Jesus is in the stern teaching his disciples. Another comment I liked was when one of the interviewees, couldn't get over how violent the storm was. In his mind the Sea of Galilee was not that big, but the painting definitely made him think otherwise.

All in all I enjoying talking to others and liked the fact that people were able to discern different things about the painting. I thought it was an interesting way to incorporate art into talking to others.

1 comment:

Dr. J. said...

Interviews are an interesting learning experience, I have utilized some interview techniques in pastoral visitation, staff meetings, and staff relationships to connect with the cultural context of various ministries where I served.